Sunday, December 27, 2015

Juuzou Suzuya's Suspenders


(Images above do not belong to me. Credit to rightful owners)




                   

Just so you know...

I do have to warn you, making Y shaped suspenders is tricky to make. Making the X shaped one is a lot easier AND there are tons of videos on how to make them. I could not find any videos on how to make the Y shaped suspenders. Also, it would be MUCH easier to buy Y shaped suspenders and adjust them to your liking. But if you are stubborn like me and want to make them yourselves then this may help. However, I made mine in the way I wanted to (so really weirdly) and took little pictures of my process. It was more of a trial and error type of thing, so the steps are going to be confusing. I will also warn you I have only been making cosplay for 2 years now but my skills are not that great. But hopefully it inspires you or you find a better way of making them with this.

You have been warned.



Things that you will need:

- 3 Suspender clips. One pack has 2 so you will need another pack. Each pack cost $2.99 USD at Joann Fabric Store.

- 2 buckles. Each cost $2.99 at Joann's.


- Ribbon of desired color.  I decided to go with the red with white polka dots since I already had the ribbon. You can do the blue one like he wears in the anime. I used about 45 inches of ribbon for each side. But you may need to adjust it to your height. I am about 5'1.


Steps

Step 0:
- Depending on the width of the ribbon you may need to fold and sew the sides inward to fit nicely through the buckles.

Okay, I am terrible at explaining this part, So I found a video on what to do to each strap for the suspenders. Its essentially the same thing I did.


( 0:19 - 1:50 ) < Those are steps that will definitely help. When he says add in the "d-strap" just add in the clip. Same goes for when he says "add the YKK clip" just add the other clip at the end.


<    So... Something like that.











BUT WAIT. Since you only have 3 clips (two for the front and one for the back), you will only add the last clip for the back to ONE of the straps.

Then you will be joining the two straps together to share the same clip for the back.


To get the Y shape, what I did was sew straps together in a way that the two straps would spilt mid-back. (I know confusing. I'm not sorry I did warn you at the beginning.)

Maybe these images will help you understand...?
This is how they turned out. To get the Y shape I sewed both straps towards the bottom. 




I sewed them up 7 inched from the  back buckle. That way it reached my mid-back.



Okay so I realized after I uploaded that the picture is dark so its going to be hard to see, but at the top you may see a line on the left side of the suspenders, that is where you want to sew across.
Make sure to sew the sides together. Sew in a rectangle shape. That will keep both straps together.



Congratulations!! 

You made it to the end of this part of the blog. This is just how I made my suspenders and I liked how they turned out. But again its really hard for me to explain my process so sorry if it was really confusing.  Anyway, you must be confused as heck, but fear not for I have linked below placed where you can buy Y shaped suspenders instead!!

Here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/Vesuvio-Napoli-Y-Back-Convertible-Suspenders/dp/B00OQYKHUE




No comments:

Post a Comment